Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Raw Milk
Last week we joined a raw-milk co-op. We get the cows milk from a farmer out in Palmer (about an hour away). However, the co-op is here in Anchorage. Whomever is in the co-op takes turns making the run out to Palmer. I will go out there about once every three months to get everyone's orders for the week. It's neat how it is all set up and we are enjoying having very fresh milk! I have transitioned Emerson from the formula onto the cows milk and he is enjoying it for the most part, but he had a little trouble getting used to the coldness of the milk at first. Levi even gets to enjoy it; he can't have pasteurized/homogenized milk because it gives him a rash on his face. I didn't think that finding raw milk in AK would be possible especially since it is illegal to sell it here, but it wasn't that hard. All I did was type in raw milk ak into google and up came a whole list of people. Farmers have found a loop-hole to sell it here; I bought a "share of a cow " and I collect my milk as part of a payment of owning part of the cow. It is interesting learning about how all this stuff works.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment